Non League Daily

A great two weeks for Wythenshawe Town

So it’s been a hugely successful season for everyone here at Wythenshawe Town, with two cup finals coming up soon, promotion pretty much secured it has been great to watch writes NLD blogger James Lobley.

Things have quickly evolved since I started following the side home and away, this season has seen some interesting away games with sloped pitches, portable dugouts and crowds of two men and a dog.

Recently we played two semi-finals, firstly against Kartel Sports. A big occasion for the team as the off-field staff drummed up interest in the local community. We got past the ordeal of the two cup semi-finals being drawn for the same date and preparations began early in the day for the anticipated crowd for the day.

I arrived at Ericstan Park at 10:00 in the morning, the sun was shining with the U13s warming up for their cup semi-final against Glossop North End. I was there getting to work on the production of our programme which was a torment to say the least considering we were still printing up until 10 minutes before kick-off.

Manager Lee McGregor was there early preparing for the game and watching the U13s game who sadly lost out to GNE. The seats had been cleaned prior to the game, I only know that because I was tasked with the job and everyone at the club was preparing for the big game ahead. Pies in the oven, programmes flying out and money behind the bar, off the pitch it went better than we had planned.

All of a sudden it was game time, and I got time to relax and photograph the game. We breezed past Kartel Sports in front of a crowd of 117 and we’ll now face Broadheath Central in the Altrincham FA Senior Cup final. It was a fantastic day for the club and the work paid off, we got great feedback and interest in the club immediately increased.

Just a week later though we faced a trip to Gorse Hill, fair to say it was the complete opposite to our nicely prepared match day. I arrived with the manager at 11:00 for a 13:30 kick-off, and were waiting for an hour before someone was on hand to open up the changing rooms and pitch.

It was tough conditions for our semi-final and when Ben Brooks missed a penalty after 2 minutes, you thought it wasn’t going to be our day but he made up for that. Brooks scored a brace to put Wythenshawe through to the Manchester FA Amateur Cup Final after a 2-0 win. Back to the club for a fundraiser for the new fence at the boundary of the club.

Great two weeks, with contrasting games and into two finals. We face Failsworth Dynamos at the Manchester Athletics Arena on the 28th and everyone at the club is excited for the final.

TABLES, FIXTURES, Results, Team News & MORE