Non League Daily

Barwell power home in Westerby Cup Final

In a game of few clear cut chances, it was Barwell who left the King Power Stadium with the Westerby Cup on Tuesday evening writes NLD writer Ian Turner

After a first half dominated in large parts by Coalville, it was goals from Barwell’s Nigel Julian and Jamie Hood that made the difference on the night. Jake Woolley got one back for Coalville but despite a late push it wasn’t enough as the game finished 2-1 to the Evo Stick Premier side.

Both sides had a decent following at Leicester City’s King Power stadium which made for a great atmosphere. It was however the Coalville supporters who had the most to shout about in the early stages, with Coalville striker Jake Woolley stretching his legs and getting in behind the Barwell back four after only two minutes but to be denied by a terrific block tackle.
The game continued to be dominated by Coalville. Luke Smithson was troubling the right hand side of Barwells defence, but despite their domination they were struggling to create any clear chances.

Barwell’s first opportunity arrived when they won a free kick on the edge of the penalty area, the free kick taken by Alex Tomkinson ended up on the roof of the net via a deflection.

On 29 minutes a long ball from the Coalville midfield allowed Woolley to spring the offside trap and run through clear on goal, Woolley however failed to take the chance with the ball going agonisingly wide.

As Half time approached, despite being on the back foot for a majority of the half; Barwell should have gone in at the break one nil up. The ball broke to the number 7 Julian following a corner but he failed to hit the target from barely five yards out.

As the second half began it was Barwell who came out the blocks flying. Chances fell to central defender Danny Jenno and forward Tomkinson but both players failed to test the goal keeper Sean Bowles.

But it wasn’t long before the dead lock was broken and after the way they had started the second half it was no surprise the goal came the way of Barwell. Julian, making up for his miss at the end of the first half capitalised on a poor clearance and drilled the ball through keeper Bowles and into the net.

Coalville responded brightly with some short snappy football, but a resolute Barwell defence didn’t allow any chances on their goal.

As Barwell retook control of the game, they were only denied a second goal by a brilliant save from Bowles. Only minutes later it appeared to be game over, Jamie Hood smashing the ball into the net on 70 minutes from just 10 yards out.

Coalville kept going and driving on towards goal and on 76 minutes it was Woolley who got them back in the game with a smart finish, following a wonderful turn and pass from Nathan Watson.

The pressure was starting to mount on Barwell, but they defended as a unit and appeared to have overcome the Coalville storm that came at them. As the five minutes of added time edged closer to end, finally a chance broke to Watson who turned, shot but was denied by a brilliant save. That chance proved to be the final action in a brilliant cup final.


TABLES, FIXTURES, Results, Team News & MORE